Monday, January 23, 2006

Show me the money

It has been suggested, as it was during Vietnam Era, that if we don't agree with the policies of our government, we should just move elsewhere. This usually took the form of "America, love it or leave it." During that time, the usual answer was "America, change it or lose it."

Everyone has a right to their opinion, I guess, unless someone in power disagrees with those who do not. At that point, the ones in power tend to suggest it is unpatriotic to oppose them and we should all shut up or just leave.

I deeply resent, as someone who has placed his body and his life "between his loved home and the war's desolation" (from the National Anthem for those unpatriotic enough to not recognize the source) to have people who have never worn their country's uniform or who have been unwilling, even in uniform, to put themselves in harm's way, tell me that if I don't like what my President has done, I should just leave.

Well, it should be obvious to those who have read other posts in this Blog that I strongly disagree with what my President is doing. The invasion of Iraq, based on faulty intelligence and an overwhelming sense of "might makes right", for instance. The constant character assassination of those who question his conduct. The poorly excused invasion of privacy by wiretapping and the now infamous demand for Google's records. And, worst, the blind following of these things by people who can do no better than to parrot the words of some right-wing demi-God.

Maybe the time has come to leave it. But, if you folks are going to suggest I leave so that you can turn my country into something its founders would never recognize, surely YOU should pay for that exodus. Because it isn't that I want to go, it is that YOU want me to go.

OK, fine. You are spending billions on an unnecessary war; surely you can find the money to provide each of us who you want to go with a stake..... say $10 million each..... to pay for transportation and so that we won't become a burden on the place to which we relocate. Remember, it is your idea, not mine, that I should leave.

So, I will. Just as soon as you show me the money. Until then, I am a citizen of this country and have as much right to critisize President Bush and you have to support him... and I don't have to resort to typical Republican character assassination to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home